Best Bread Maker For Sourdough – Eliminate Try And Error Baking.
The feeling and smell of bread from the oven is the best to come out of the kitchen. Its easier to make sourdough with the best bread maker for sourdough for the tastiest and freshest bread.
There are many types of bread preparations but if you are a fan of sourdough bread, a bread maker is a decision to consider.
It may sound difficult to cook if you have never cooked bread but with the help of the thousands of recipes, it’s very possible.
Homemade bread is always better than the supermarket bread which you never know what’s inside.
In this article, we have chosen the 5 best bread maker for sourdough on the market for easier buying considerations. For people new to baking, read on to understand what is sourdough and what makes it special among bread lovers.
What is Sourdough
Sourdough is a type of bread made by using fermentation of the dough with wild yeast and bacteria, lactobacilli (starter). These symbiotic combinations make the bread have a sour taste which enables them to keep the natural qualities.
The starter is a mixer of water and flour which are combined with bacteria. This results in a tasty bread with nutritional values and free from extra chemicals on normal bread.
Can I make sourdough in a bread machine?
You may be wondering if you could use the bread machine for sourdough? Depending on the type and model, it can be possible or not possible to cook sourdough.
The problem with normal commercial bread machines is designed to cook within a consistent and short rising period. If you are patient, you can probably prepare the sourdough but the results will not be great as a bread maker for sourdough.
If the bread machine has an adjustable rise cycle which can be changed in the middle of the cycle, it can make the sourdough bread without any problems.
Why Use bread maker for Sourdough?
For the efficient results of the best sourdough bread, it’s better to use a bread maker with sourdough settings. This increases the perfection and eliminates trial and error which can be common with normal bread machines.
A quality bread machine with plenty of customization for kneading and preparations of the dough is the ideal choice. Being able to set the time needed for the dough to rise gives an advantage and control of the sourdough.
Best Bread Maker for Sourdough
No doubt most of the bread machines can make sourdough bread but its best to consider machines with sourdough settings. Sourdough takes time to rise, unlike the yeast bread. This means having a machine designed to handle the requirements of sourdough.
There are lots of bread makers to choose from but we found 5 for our research. The following are the best Bread Maker for Sourdough you can buy right now from Amazon.
Top 5 Best Bread Maker for Sourdough
1. Breville BBM800XL Custom Loaf Bread Maker (Best Overall)
The Breville BBM880XL is the overall choice for the best bread machine maker on the market. This bread machine brings satisfaction to all bakers by offering a variety of customizable settings.
First of all, the design is sleek with a large LCD screen clear enough to read the settings and adjust them to perfection.
The outer cover of the machine is made of stainless steel and has rubber legs that prevent scratches on the countertop.
In terms of the settings, they are automatic meaning they are fully programmable. It can produce four loaf sizes, 13 automatic settings, and 3 crust colors.
What makes this bread maker the best for sourdough is the ability to customize the settings. Unlike most bread makers which have one preprogrammed selections, Breville BBM880XL offers settings to knead, preheat, warming phases, rise, punch down and bake.
With these settings, it’s easy to prepare sourdough ingredients and set the rise time for the perfect baking process.
Also, if you have problems with your current bread maker leaving a hole when pulling the loaf out due to the kneading paddle, Breville BBM880XL doesn’t have this problem. It uses a collapsible kneading blade that means it wont stick to your bread.
No doubt the bread machine is highly reliable which comes at a higher cost but it’s worth it. Investing in this Breville BBM880XL bread maker allows you to bake bread with total control and dictate the outcome.
The nut and fruit holder on the top of the machine is small which can only hold a few ingredients but it’s a great feature to have.
- 830 Watts
- Bakes bread in 3 hours, and has a 13-hour delay timer
- Automatic fruit and nut dispenser
- Has two types of kneading blades: a collapsible blade that leaves less of a hole in the loaf and another one just for jam
- Strong and sleek stainless steel design all around
- Has a large viewing smart LCD screen
- Makes a rectangular 1-, 1.5-, 2-, 2.5- pound loaf
- Has 13 pre-programmed settings: custom, basic, whole wheat, rapid, gluten-free, crusty loaf, sweet, yeast-free, dough, pizza, pasta, bake only, and jam
- 46 step-by-step recipes included and instruction manual.
- Removable bake pan with a single kneading blade attachment
- Great quality and design
- Automatic fruit and nut dispenser for easier addition.
- A High reputation of the brand
- 13 settings to customize the programs
- 4-loaf adjustable sizes
- Collapsible kneading blade to avoid sticking.
- The machine is louder than other quiet models.
- A bit pricy
I can go on and on how this bread maker is great but to put things in a clear perspective, for serious baker it is the only bread machine you’ll need. Although the price is a bit higher than the normal bread machines, its performance is worth the cost.
2. Zojirushi BB-PAC20BA BB-PAC20 (Second Best)
Zojirushi is another game-changer in the baking process with this BB-PA20BA BB-PAC20 Home Bakery Virtuoso Breadmaker. It offers advanced technologies to help any user to bake bread like a pro.
The bread maker has great design and strong construction of stainless steel. It comes with a large open lid creating a large viewing window to watch the baking process.
The LCD screen control panel is very user-friendly which allows you to choose from 3 crust shades, 10 pre-programmed settings, and a timer.
It easy to bake a large traditional loaf with this bread maker which can bake up to 2lb of the loaf. It comes with dual kneading blades to ensure thorough mixing of the large batches of ingredients.
With the menu settings, it’s easy to customize and set ingredients like wheat bread, basic bread, sourdough starter, gluten-free bread, dough, jam, cake and more.
Regarding the price, it also costs higher like the Breville BBM880XL bread maker. The performance and ease of use make the price worth the value. You don’t need to be an expert to use this machine due to automated settings and easy to follow recipe booklet.
Zojirushi BB-PAC20 Home Bakery Virtuoso Breadmaker is a great alternative to Breville BBM880XL bread maker. You get to enjoy quick baking cycles with less than 2 hours.
- Bakes a large traditional rectangular shaped 2-lb. Loaf
- 10 pre-programmed settings, and set the timer
- Exclusive Home Made Menu function includes 3 memory settings
- Additional heater on lid for even baking
- Quick baking cycle prepares bread in a little over 2 hours
- 13-hour delay timer
- LCD clock makes it easy to check the completion time and set up the Timer
- Large Open Lid
- Inner Cooking Pan with handles on the baking pan for easy handling and removal
- Includes as easy-to-follow instructional DVD, manual and recipe booklet
- Menu settings include: basic bread, wheat bread, gluten-free bread, sourdough starter, dough, jam, cake, quick bread, and 3 homemade menus
- Highly efficient
- Delay timer
- Ease of use and quick cycle baking time.
- 10 settings for control
- Includes sourdough setting
- Inner nonstick surface
- The loaf size cannot be adjusted
If you like faster cooking and saving time, this is the ideal bread maker to prepare your bread in a few minutes. Also, you get to prepare rectangular-shaped 2-pound loaves with a perfected crust.
Zojirushi never fails to impress with its quality products which are highly rated. Make the best investment with this Zojirushi BB-PAC20BA BB-PAC20 Home Bakery Virtuoso Breadmaker for a quality bread baking at home.
3. Panasonic home bakery 1 loaf type Brown SD-BMT1001-T (Best High-End Option)
The Panasonic SD-BMT1001-T bread maker has it all to enable quality and efficient bread baking at home. It solves all the problems in other highly rated and expensive bread machines.
It is made in Japan, which means you have to import it if you are here in the USA or other places. One challenge is that you don’t get a warranty, but if you don’t mind, it is a top-level bread maker to buy.
Panasonic bread maker comes with a reservoir for yeast and other mixins that are automatically added at the right time or temperature.
This bread maker is one of the quietest bread machines as it has minimal noise levels. While baking, it is stable and doesn’t move on the counter.
- Reservation timer function
- 13-hour Delay Timer and can bake bread in 1 to 3 hours
- Plenty of Preprogrammed settings-
- Large LCD
- Has both a yeast and fruit dispenser
- Makes a tall 1-pound loaf
- Instruction manual and recipe book
- Removable bake pan with two kneading blades (one for bread and the other for mochi/noodles)
- Extras: Measuring cup and measuring spoon
- Efficient baking performance
- Ease of use and cleaning
- Plenty of settings for customization
- Reputable brand
- Multi-purpose bread maker including sourdough
- Quiet operation
- No warranty because it’s an import
- Very pricey compared to other highly rated bread makers
This bread maker can only make 1lb of a loaf which can be an advantage and a disadvantage to some people. It is a very expensive bread maker in this list which offers an efficient baking experience to experienced and beginner users.
If you are willing to take the risks of the machine has, you wont regret buying it. The manual comes in Japanese but with many technologies, you can translate the language.
4. Cuisinart CBK-100SSFR 2-Pound Programmable Breadmaker (Budget Pick)
If you would prefer a cheaper option bread maker, the Cuisinart CBK-100SSFR is a great choice. It comes with a solid construction of stainless steel to ensure durability as well as maintain a great look.
With this budget bread maker, you still get great features to bake quality bread. It comes with 12 pre-programmed settings, a 13-hour delay timer, and 3 crust settings.
The loaf options can prepare either 1, 1.5 and 2-pound loaves creating convenience even better than some expensive bread makers.
One outstanding feature of this bread maker is the power failure backup which allows you to continue baking in case of power shortage. The handles of the Cuisinart bread maker always stay cool.
The pan, kneading paddle and lid are easily removable for easy cleaning. In addition, it comes with a recipe book spoon and a measuring cup.
- 12 pre-programmed menu options; 3 crust settings; 13-hour delay-start timer
- Programmable bread machine bakes 1-, 1-1/2-, and 2-pound loaves
- Viewing window offers easy monitoring while baking
- Power-failure backup
- Removable lid, pan, and paddle for quick cleanup
- Stay-cool handles
- Extras: measuring cup, measuring spoon, and recipes included
- Strong stainless steel material
- 12 pre-programmed setting
- Power failure backup
- Bakes adjustable 1-, 1-1/2-, and 2-pound loaves
- 13-hour delay timer
- Easy to use and clean
- Ingredients have to be added manually due to a lack of auto dispenser for nuts or fruits.
A simple and affordable bread maker which has great baking options is the perfect choice for a budget bread machine. The Cuisinart has all these features to simplify bread baking. The 13-hour delay timer is perfect for sourdough preparation.
Another great option for baking of sourdough bread machine which has the perfect settings. It offers a large capacity to prepare large amounts of batches.
This bread maker is designed attractively with a tempered glass cover blend which can be appealing in any kitchen decor. The material of the bread maker is stainless steel.
KBS bread maker has 17 customized automatic programs to choose from creating a large variety of bread to bake. It comes with settings for light, medium and dark crust as well as different loaf capacity(1,1.5 & 22lb).
The digital touch panel control is user-friendly whereby it has a 15-hour timer, 1-hour automatic warm function, 15-minute power interruption recovery.
An intelligent fruit and nut dispenser is available to enable easy release of ingredients automatically at the right time. The pans are ceramic and nonstick which enable the bread to bake evenly.
- 3 Crust colors – light, medium, dark.
- Removable automatic dispenser: dispense fruit, nuts at the right time.
- 3 Loaf sizes – 1.0/1.5/2.0 lb
- 5-hour programmable Delay Bake
- 15-minute Power Interruption Recovery
- 1-hour Keep Warm
- Smart LCD control panel with an inner light.
- 19 menus including Soft bread, Sweetbread, Natural sourdough, French bread, Whole wheat, Quickbread, Sugar-free, Multigrain, Milky loaf, Cake, Raw dough, Leaven dough, Jam, Bake, Yogurt, Gluten-free, Ferment, Rice wine, Stir-fry
- Non-stick Ceramic Pan is Healthier and dishwasher-safe
- Efficient baking process.
- 2 years warranty for all parts and accessories
- 100% food-grade material approved by FDA
- 300 Free Recipes
- Easy to use and also clean
- Power Interruption Recovery allow for fresh bread anytime
- Stylish design and durable material.
- The paddle leaves a small hole which to some people can be a deal-breaker.
If you like stylish appliances with great performance at the same time, then this is the better option. The 17-in -1 bread maker offers many programs to bake bread and also other meals.
Choosing this bread maker allows you to make sourdough easily and prepare other healthy bread conveniently. The price is affordable considering what it has to offer.
The above bread makers are the best Bread Maker for Sourdough to have and enjoy fresh bread every morning.
These machines come from the most known and reputable companies like Breville. Investing in one of these bread makers is a valuable step to take.
Both bread machines offer multiple settings which allow you to cook a variety of meals and not limited to sourdough and other bread.